What are the fire risks
- Store fireworks in a metal box when not in use. Once lit to not return to the firework and always keep a bucket of water handy. Fireworks have been known to spark fires in surrounding trees and bushes. Always consider these when choosing where to set them off.
- Keep candles away from Christmas trees and other furnishings. Always place on a flat surface such as a shelf, never on electrical equipment and always out of reach of children. Never leave candles burning unattended.
- Keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children. Fires can start easily without an adult realising.
- Don't attach any type of decoration to heaters or lights as this heat will easily ignite them.
- Switch off electrical appliances when not in use and take extra care with fairy lights and outdoor lights. Use the same precautions as when using Christmas lights – use an RCD socket on all outdoor lights and avoid overloading sockets indoors. Never be tempted to attach 2 flexes to one plug in order to power more items. This is very dangerous.
- Never leave cooking unattended – most accidental fires start in the kitchen due to cooking left unattended. It is an easy mistake to make, especially when spending time with guests seems to be more important.
- Ensure cigarettes are not still lit when discarding them and never leave ashtrays in the reach of children.
- Check the battery in your smoke alarm every week and make sure each smoke alarm in your property is free of dust and debris.
- Have a fire escape plan in mind – and make sure your friends and family know what it is. Think about how you would escape from your property if your main exit routes were blocked.