Thursday, 20 August 2015
A mistake that perhaps many of us are guilty of making is the way we charge our phones. Phone batteries are known for going flat at the most annoying of times. The most sensible way to charge a phone is on a worktop away from wet areas or soft furnishings. However this can also mean that you might miss an important phone call or can't continue with that live chat in comfort!
Inadvertently this can lead to dangerous methods of phone charging which leaves the phone at risk of overheating and fire. A recent fire in London was caused by the householder charging their phone under a pillow. Whilst this situation could easily be rectified, we reckon that lots of people are guilty of phone charging under their pillow without realising how dangerous this could be.
When phone charging can become dangerous
As electricians in South East London we are seeing increasing electrical jobs where we are repairing electrical damage caused by using the wrong type of charger when charging items such as smartphones. Typically this is when universal chargers are being used which re not compatible with the type of phone being charged.
When the wrong charger is used, it can cause expensive damage to the phone itself and your home electrics. It can even start a house fire or explode leaving you with serious burns. The socket quickly overheats and damages the wiring within the wall. This is why as one of the leading electrical companies in London we do not recommend the use of universal chargers for any electrical device.
Charge your phone on a hard surface
Charging using a genuine phone charger is safe so long as the manufacturers instructions are followed. However this doesn't rule out an electrical fault developing which could still result in fire. This is why it is important that you charge your phone in a sensible location at all times. If the worst does happen and a fire occurs when charging, the fire is unlikely to spread as quickly if the phone is situated on a hard surface such as a table top. Soft furnishings such as bedding, cushions, and rugs can often act as fuel to the fire which can quickly spread to other areas including wiring inside walls.
The phone in the photo shows the devastation that can be caused by something as simple as leaving your phone charging in an inappropriate place!
If you suspect electrical damage has been caused by using an incorrect charger, please contact a qualified and registered electrician as soon as possible.
Wednesday, 12 August 2015
Electricalsafety can range from niggly problems such as the electric tripping just as you're about to save your work to serious electrical issues that could cause electrical injury or even death.
Making the best start on university housing
It will soon become apparent that there is a problem with your student housing. The unfortunate reality is that once you have signed the tenancy agreement, it will become a lot more difficult to rectify the issue in the future. It is far easier to be aware of potential pitfalls before making the final decision on which housing to opt for.
What to look out for
Dangerous electrics at best can be a menace. In the worst instance it can kill. When viewing the property there are often tell tale signs that the electrics are not in the best of conditions. An over reliance of extension leads is a tell tale sign that there are not enough electric sockets in the rooms concerned. Too few sockets is a sign of dated electrics and there could well be other problems. Pay attention to how the current tenants are living and the condition of the other electric fittings such as switches and sockets. Signs of discolouration, metal backed sockets and broken fittings are all signs that the electrics need some attention.
An over reliance of extension leads can cause overheating and house fire. It is real not worth risking your equipment and essentially your life on a property with outdated electrics which could be dangerous.
How safe might the electrics be?
With electricity, everything is neatly hidden away. Therefore it is tricky to see if there is a problem with electrics that otherwise look good. The only way of knowing is for a qualified and registered electrician carrying out an electrical safety inspection of the property electrics. This is known as an EICR. If the property is satisfactory then a certificate is issued to confirm this. It is important that as the tenant you ask to view this certificate.
The recommendations are for landlords to carry out an EICR every 5 years or with every change of tenant. Although it is not the law to have an EICR carried out, landlords must still show how they ensure the electrical safety of their tenants. Most reputable landlords carry out an EICR on their property.
What about electrical appliances supplied at the property?
Whilst it can be quite handy to have a washing machine and fridge freezer ready to use in your property, it is important that the appliances are actually safe to use. Faulty or dangerous appliances can cause fire or electric shock. Landlords who supply electrical equipment should have the equipment PAT tested regularly to ensure that the equipment remains safe to use.
Always ask to see the EICR certificate and evidence of PAT testing before signing the tenancy agreement.
Electricity can and does kill – 7 people every week are killed by electricity and electricity injures thousands more. Ensuring that your property will be electrically safe is the best thing you can do prior to moving into your student property.